October 19, 2012 § Leave a comment
We love purple at the WRC and we never support bullying of folks because of their sexual identities, so Spirit Day is totally our kind of day. Join us today and every day in standing up and speaking out against bullying.
“Millions wear purple on Spirit Day as a sign of support for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) youth and to speak out against bullying. Spirit Day was started in 2010 as a response to the young people who had taken their own lives. Observed annually, individuals, schools, organizations, corporations, media professionals and celebrities wear purple, which symbolizes spirit on the rainbow flag.” (via)
- LGBTQ Nation and media partners, including the Washington Blade;
- More than 100 celebrities and entertainers;
- Major broadcast and cable television networks including ABC, CBS and NBC;
- More than a dozen sports organizations and professional sports leagues, including the NBA, WNBA, MLB, MLS, NASCAR Diversity, NHL, USA Track & Field and the WWE;
- Social media sites, including Facebook, Tumblr, and dozens of major corporations;
And, as if you need another reason, even Honey Boo Boo is also supporting Spirit Day.